Nonprofit Law/Parent's Booster as a Sub-Group for a 501(c)(3) Rowing Club

Question
A parentís booster has recently been formed for junior athletes as a sub-group of the board of a 501(c)(3) rowing club open to all ages. This parent booster sub-group has been unanimously approved by the club board of directors to be included on their budget as a line-item general fund. The funds for all junior athletes regardless of donation or funds raised and/or refunded by the parent booster sub-group are planned and approved by the board to go toward the support and payment of items such as regatta (travel, lodging, and food) related activities/functions, race specific uniforms, equipment purchases/repairs and a portion to be determined to the ongoing contribution to the club for club ongoing normal expenses (insurance, paid coaching, club advertising, ect) and a new building fund. It is our hope and intention that the booster club sub group works within the 501(c)(3) legal and proper guidelines to provide financial support for the junior athletes and the club board that has graciously allowed them to participate in the joy of crew rowing. Any advice or thoughts that you can provide for us would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
I suggest that you don't use the term "parent's group" as a 501(c)(3) booster organization should be able to have assistance from people who are not parents.  Anyway, the sub-group, which be generally called a "Division" must follow the legal guidelines for booster organizations. My summary of IRS regulations relating to 501c3 booster organizations is at:
http://goo.gl/ULw6f6
and you may be interested to read that.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic