Nonprofit Law/Sale of property

Question
I am a member of a club that was not for profit under 501c.7. Due to apathy we have lost our status. My question is can we sell our property or do we have to sell to another nor for profit organization? The property is in New York

Answer
Is your club incorporated as a New York Not-for-Profit Corporation?  In any case, I would need to see the articles of incorporation (or articles of organization) and bylaws to see if there is anything relevant.

The IRS has no problem with a c7 selling its assets to a for-profit entity. http://www.irs.gov/irm/part7/irm_07-025-007.html

However, if yours is a New York Not-for-Profit Corporation, let me know and, after you give me that information I will reply further as to the state law.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com
Member of New York Bar

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic