Nonprofit Law/501(c)(3) fees

Question
QUESTION: Can a 501-c-3 pay a fee or commission to an individual who brokers a gift to the charity? Is there a particular statute which you can direct me to. (I have searched and searched!) Thank you, David

ANSWER: The word "brokers" is not in the codes, but it appears that you are referring to someone who has a contract with a 501(c)(3) organization to solicit funding for the organization.  Those persons are regulated by the state and, for Oregon see http://www.doj.state.or.us/charigroup/pages/howtofund.aspx

Generally the states do prohibit excessive amounts.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

QUESTION: actually not a contract with the charity but, my business is as a PI and I regularly come across settlements which belong to charities, plain and simple. It is real work to petition for and free up the money. I typically walk away from these cases.
What I would propose to the charity is a fee for myself after, and only after I am granted the order and have received a check on their behalf. I could take my fee prior to distributing to the charity if that helps their bookkeeping entries. Thank you.

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your issue is controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, I can inform you that, generally, a charity may not give unreasonably high compensation to you, but, otherwise, they may contract for your personal services just as any other corporation could.  

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic