Nonprofit Law/Competitive Dance Team Parent Otganization

My daughter takes dance at a local studio that also has a competitive team. We travel and personally pay for all competitions as well as costumes and all other required items which could be props that the studio own and charges the dancers in the groups. There is a mark up on such items for the studio owner. Some of the parents want to form a non profit parent organization to raise money to help defer costs. Joining the parent group would not be a requirement to be on the competitive team  The money raised would not be for a general fund but for each individual that participates. The money would be held in one account but one person(treasurer) would keep track of each individual's available profits. The parents profits would be used to pay for costumes or entry fees. The money would be given to the studio owner as he pays the competition fees with a company credit card after each parent pays their fees to him.  Could we form a non profit under 501c?  Each individual would also be able to apply any profits earned toward additional fees such as recital products such as tickets adds in the program, etc.  please let me know if this would be a legal group under the non profit 501(c).

Such an operation would be what the IRS calls a cooperative.  A
cooperative is not qualified as a 501(c)(3) organization.  A
501(c)(3) booster organization is to be a charitable, not a
cooperative, organization. A charitable organization, like the Red
Cross, does not require beneficiaries to work for the Red Cross in
order to receive benefits.

In August, 2013 the U.S. Tax Court supported the revocation of
501(c)(3) organization status of a formerly exempt organization and
noted that a parent's fundraising was earmarked to reduce what
otherwise could be a $1,400 payment the parent would have to pay
out of his/her pocket. The direct linkage of a parent's fundraising
resulted with paying expenses for that parent's child and was a
very specific benefit obtained by the insider.  While the parent
may not have been paid cash, the parent nevertheless ended up
escaping having to write a check for the amount of the benefit.
Families who did not fundraise did not receive any benefits from
the purported a 501(c)(3) organization.

My summary of IRS regulations relating to 501(c)(3) booster organizations is at: and you may be interested to read that.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic

I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.

I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.

B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.