Nonprofit Law/donations or charitable contributions

Question
If I owned a company could I donate a % of my companies profits on a yearly basis? Or if possible make a non profit a partner or shareholder?
Thanks Jeff

Answer
Yes. Companies may make charitable donations that are deductible.  As to charitable deductions, see IRS Publication 526 "Charitable Donations"  which is available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf
-limits on deductions for non-corporate taxpayers on page 13. There are lower limits of 10% of your taxable income if yours is a regular corporation but 50% limit if it is a "S" corporation. Section 170(a) of the Internal Revenue Code allows taxpayers a deduction for charitable contributions made within the taxable year.  However, 170(d) provides that in case of a corporation, the total deductions under subsection (a) for any taxable year shall not exceed 10 percent of the taxpayer's taxable income.
http://snipurl.com/fd10n

A nonprofit may also be a partner, but then the income to the nonprofit is generally taxable to it.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic