Nonprofit Law/Non Volunteer Fees

Question
My child is a member of a 501(C)3 sporting club. During the club's registration process we were required to read and agree to a volunteer policy. It basically said that we were required to volunteer for at least 5 hours or we would be charged an hourly fee. "Each volunteer task will be assigned a set hourly amount or worth" It goes on to say "If at the end of the season anyone fails to reach their volunteer hours, they will be assessed $40.00 per hour." They said that if you don't pay your non volunteer fee by the specified date, you would be considered "not in good standing with the club"  At the bottom there is an asterisk and it talks about adding an additional 5 hours to each member family for extra events the club may host. The additional hours will also be billed at the $40.00 an hour rate for noncompliance. Is this legal or is there something you can recommend for me to read regarding non profits and non volunteer fees? Thank you for your time.

Answer
Those clauses in the agreement are legally enforceable, but note that the workers and employer will realize employment tax liability for the hours worked (computed at the $40 per hour rate).

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic