Nonprofit Law/W-9 Form August 2013 Exemptions

I am a treasurer of a non-exempt organization.  We have about 8-10 active board members through out the state.  We set up training conferences to meet mandatory requirements for our job set by the state. Our conferences are small.  We have been tax exempt and we have been established as a 501(c)(3) organization.  With this August 2013 W-9 form, I do not see an option for our organization on the exemption list.  All of our money goes into the training costs and none of the members receive any compensation.  Could you point me in the right direction?  Thanks

I am sorry but I don't know what you are asking.  I see that you are referring to by "this August 2013 W-9 form".   The W-9 form with instructions is at
and, on page one in the first column under the heading "Purpose of Form" the IRS has instructed
--- Start of Excerpt ---
A person who is required to file an information return with the IRS must obtain your correct taxpayer identification number (TIN) to report, for example, income paid to you, real estate transactions, mortgage interest you paid, acquisition or abandonment of secured property, cancellation of debt, or contributions you made to an IRA.
---End of Excerpt---

If you let me know who is sending the form and to whom and for what IRS information return, then I can answer further.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic

I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.

I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.

B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.