Nonprofit Law/agent

if I was the agent according to the state of Co. for 6 years then left for 2 and a half years but still listed  as the agent would I still be the legal agent

I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your issues are controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, I will try to direct you.  It appears you are asking about what is called the "registered agent". The Colorado Secretary of State has explained:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
Reporting entities, such as limited liability companies, corporations, nonprofit corporations, and foreign entities, are required by law to submit a Periodic Report each year to the Secretary of State. For more information, see section 7-90-501, C.R.S. Submitting a Periodic Report allows an entity to update the current name and address of its registered agent and its principal office address, which helps ensure current information is available to the public. Submitting the Periodic Report also maintains the “Good Standing” of the entity with the Secretary of State.
--- End of Excerpt ---

The Colorado Corporations Code is available in a 535 page pdf file at and the cited section 7-90-501 is on page 322.

A sample of the form is at

You wrote that you "left" but that, in itself, does not mean that you delivered to the corporation a written request that you be replaced as registered agent.  If you are still listed on the site of the Colorado Secretary of State as registered agent, then you are still the registered agent, and, therefore, I suggest that you resign that position in writing.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic

I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.

I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.

B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.