Nonprofit Law/Booster Club

Question
QUESTION: We have a booster club that helps all sports in 7-12th grades. We do not have a EIN (we use the public schools EIN) nor are we incorporated. Our funds raised are held by the school district, and the club has officers and hand full of members and by laws. My question is, if funds are held by the school does this mean that the club can have members and officers make the decisions on spending and fundraising? Funds are not evenly dispersed among the 7-12 grade sports, and only 3 officers are deciding how the funds are dispersed. Also profits exceed $5000 annually so is the club required to file IRS returns or since they use schools EIN they are not required to?

ANSWER: Your club is not a entity separate from the School District and, therefore, you would only have whatever powers are granted to your club by that School District. Because the club is not an entity separate from the School Board (it is not a nonprofit corporation, charitable trust, or unincorporated nonprofit association) it has no filing requirements with the IRS. Whatever requirements would exist would be the responsibility of the School District.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

QUESTION: Can this club be an entity of the school if only adults (non students) are the members and officers? And does the sunshine law apply to the club?

Answer
In the United States, unless a group is organized and operates a bank account with their own EIN (Employer Identification Number - or Taxpayer Id number), it is considered to simply be a committee of the entity that allows it to use its EIN. All laws that would apply to the school would apply to a club or committee of the school district. Therefore, the State sunshine law would apply to the club.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic