You are here:

Nonprofit Law/Changing 501(c)3 board members


We just obtained our 501(c)3 desidnation this last June, retroactive to Feb.2012.
Our small ministry has 4 board members-two of which would like to resign.  The President & treasurer want to step down: the Vice President will become the President and a new treasurer will be appointed.

We are licensed in the state of Missouri & I am the secretary.

Other than having the two people formally resign-what do I need to do to insure our ministry complies with state & federal law with the new board members?

Thank you so much for your assistence

I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your organization would follow the procedures in your articles of incorporation and bylaws for election of new board members and does not need to make any special filing with the IRS as to that change.

States may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, generally states require their corporations to report annually or every two years the names and addresses of the members of the Board of Directors. You can contact the State of Missouri Secretary of State on Monday as to their requirements.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.