Nonprofit Law/Clarification on fiscal year change, using 990

Question
Hello Mr. Mechanic
I'm researching for our nonprofit, and discovered your great service on allexperts. Thank you for your time. The missing piece of the changing fiscal year question isn't the form for us, we'll use 990... but rather what the transition period is called and how it is administered. We are going from fiscal calendar year to school year, basically. If we want to start our new fiscal year July 1, 2015 and we state such on the 990 this year ending Dec 31, how do we handle the time period between Jan 1, 2015-June 30, 2015? From the looks of i990 PDF instructions, we'll need to file a 990 for that "Short Period" via the mail after July. Correct? Then next year, we'll file a 990 electronically with the new fiscal year dates, correct?, because we'll have already declared our fiscal year change on this year's 990 ending Dec 31, '14.

And that's it, I think. No fees, or such.
Thanks for your clarification.
-D

====================
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Nonprofit-Law-2266/2014/5/change-fiscal-year.htm
Answer
"If an organization that submits Form 990-N changes its accounting period, it must report this change on Form 990, Form 990-EZ, or Form 1128, or by sending a letter to Internal Revenue
Service, 1973 N. Rulon White Blvd., Ogden, Utah 84404."
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i990.pdf (0n page 5 right column).

Answer
Note on pdf page 5, right column, of the IRS instructions to Form 990 which is available at:
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i990.pdf
--- Start of Excerpt ---
A short accounting period is a period of less than 12 months, which exists when an organization first commences operations, changes its accounting period, or terminates... If the organization changes its accounting period, it must file a Form 990 for the short period resulting from the change. Write "Change of Accounting Period" at the top of this short-period return. If the organization previously changed its accounting period within the 10-calendar-year period that includes the beginning of the short period, and it had a Form 990 filing requirement at any time during that 10-year period, it must also attach a Form 1128 to the short-period return. See Rev. Proc. 85-58, 1985-2
C.B. 740.
---End of Excerpt---

You are welcome.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic