Nonprofit Law/EO Officers

Question
We are a nonprofit organization 501©3 incorporated in the state of Florida.

The question to you is, if an officer (Secretary) is paid a fee for his services taking photos and videos for our fundraising events is considered “compensation” or “fees to an external contractor”? We have two events a year, so the total for a fiscal year will be less the $ 600 USD. This amount is comparable to the fees paid to third party contractors for same services. Would these $ 600.00 fees be reportable as W2 items and subject to FICA/FUTA/SS  withholdings? Or they would be considered as 1099 items and reportable as such.

Answer
The officer performing the duties as Secretary of a corporation is treated by the IRS as an employee. http://goo.gl/ypkKS But the same person, who person, when contracting with the corporation for services other than the duties of the office is treated as any other person who contracts with the corporation for those services.  Therefore, as the photographers such as you describe are ordinarily treated as independent contractors, the 501(c)(3) organization would not need to file form 1099-Misc (services less than a total of $600 per year.

The same person may receive both a W-2 and a 1099-Misc from the
same employer.  See pdf page 76 of that IRS Training Manual
---Start of Excerpt--
A worker may perform services for a single business in two or
more separate capacities. A dual status worker performs one  type
of service for a business as an independent contractor, but
performs a different type of service for the business as an
employee.
---End of Excerpt--
"IRS Internal Training: Employee/Independent Contractor" at
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/emporind.pdf

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic