Nonprofit Law/Fee refund, again

Question
Hello again Mr Mechanic,

You just answered some questions for me about fee refunds in exchange for volunteer duties for a tournament. How do things change if we give those returned fees to another non-profit in exchange for the volunteer efforts of those teams. We are a League, and we are made up of a consortium of Clubs, which are independent 501(c)(3) organizations that all have the same basic mission that the League does. How do the tax laws apply if we give money to these Clubs in proportion to the number of teams from their Clubs that helped run the tournament, and leave it to the Club to decide how to use or disperse those returned fee

-Pres

Answer
As long as the volunteer activity is not something that would be considered unrelated business activity, like vending of food and drink to spectators, I don't see any problem as the funding is going from one 501(c)(3) organization to another.

I am assuming that the team size is relatively large.  See pdf page 13 of
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p3833.pdf under the heading
"Charitable Class
--start of excerpt  ---
The group of individuals that may properly receive
assistance from a charitable organization is called a charitable
class. A charitable class must be large or sufficiently indefinite
enough that the community as a whole, rather than a pre-selected
group of people, benefits when a charity provides assistance.
--end of excerpt  ---
More details are found starting at pdf page 6 of http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopick99.pdf

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic