Nonprofit Law/Finding out a non-profits Tax ID number

Question
Hello Harvey,
I am trying to verify a non-profits status as an exempt organization.
So far the places that say I can use their data base (Guidestar, specifically) has come up with nothing.  I have the name and city (LA).
Do you know a good data base for verifying a group's non-profit status?
Thanks so much,
Nancy Omeara

Answer
Try going to http://goo.gl/BVjCCd which is an IRS source for information about organizations that presently have exempt status recognized by the IRS. You would need to click on the state of California  and then click on the csv file depending upon the first letter of the name of the organization.

If that brings nothing, note that IRS Publication 557 "Tax Exempt Status for Your Organization" at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf in the right column on p age 25 under "Organizations Not Required to File Form 1023" discusses who does not need to file and among those is "Any organization (other than a private foundation) normally having annual gross receipts of not more than $5,000.  These organizations are exempt automatically if they meet the requirements of section 501(c)(3)."

Therefore, many nonprofits will not be included on any public database.  That would also be the situation if the organization has applied for federal exemption determination with the IRS but has not yet received the IRS determination.

However, if the organization has already applied for exemption with the IRS, it is obligated to provide to you, upon request a copy of that application http://goo.gl/bGdpv - and that application would include the organization's Tax ID number.  I don't know what your reason is for trying to verify their states as an exempt organization, but I often represent organizations that have not yet received received a determination letter from the IRS that the are exempt from federal income taxes. I gather certain information from them and then write my opinion letter as to whether the IRS would be treating them as an exempt organization.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic