Nonprofit Law/Fundraising Uses

Question
I am president of a 501-c-3 Booster. We are taking a large trip to a National Competition in Florida this season. The membership has already decided that it would be both normal and acceptable to travel with all three of our coaches for three squads that total close to 60 girls. The question that has been posed to me is that if we pay coach travel are we in violation of IRS policy if the girls are paying for the majority of this trip themselves? ALL other funds raised this year with the exception of minor operating expenses will go to benefit the girls and we expect total fundraising to be in excess of $35,000 with the coaches expenses being no more than $3000.00. I appreciate any advice you can give us.

Answer
A 501(c)(3) organization may decide for the whole year only to fund the coaches and not give any benefits directly to the youth, so certainly it may decide to pay for coaches to travel to a national competition.

The IRS rule for what nonprofits may spend money on is similar to
the standard that the IRS uses when determining what is a valid
business expense for an ordinary business. For example, at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopich02.pdf the IRS refers
extensively to the regular business expense rules and applies them
to 501(c)(3) organizations. On page 32 we see "Reimbursements are
technically covered by Regs. 1.62-2.  However, for administrative
purposes, all TE/GE [Tax Exempt & Government Entities Division]
administrative personnel will treat reimbursements of a business
expense the same as if the expense were paid directly by the
employer, as long as the employee complies with the substantiation
rules..."
See also:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p535.pdf "Business Expenses"
on page 3, under "What Can I Deduct":
--start of excerpt  ---
To be deductible, a business expense must be
both ordinary and necessary. An ordinary ex-
pense is one that is common and accepted in
your industry. A necessary expense is one that
is helpful and appropriate for your trade or busi-
ness. An expense does not have to be indispen-
sable to be considered necessary.
--end of excerpt  ---

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic