Nonprofit Law/501c3 nonprofit audit

Question
QUESTION: Can you tell me if someone is threatening to audit a 501c3, what does that entail? What is the process of auditing a 501c3 like?

Thanks.

ANSWER: Some 501(c)(3) organizations have provisions in their bylaws to allow certain members or directors to require an audit.  As for persons outside of the 501(c)(3) organization, there is no one that I know who has authority to require an audit except a government authority.  Let me know the position of the person who is "threatening to audit" and then I will reply further.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

QUESTION: This is from an outside member of a family who we helped to raise money. She is leaving us messages threatening to audit? should we take it seriously? She has not sent any attorney letter as of yet.

Answer
If someone sues your organization, during the stage called "discovery" generally the courts allow them to ask for your financial information and you would be required to turn that over to the plaintiff (the person suing).  Otherwise, that person may file a complaint about your organization to a government authority, like the IRS and they have authority to audit (look over your financial records).

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic