Nonprofit Law/Church legal name

Question
We are in the state of PA. We are turning our bible study into a church.  We are not incorporating.  We have chosen a name and written bylaws.  I am in the process of completing IRS form SS-4 to obtain an identification number so we can open a checking account.  The application wants the legal name.  What makes a name a legal name?  Is the name we have given the church a legal name? If the name we have chosen is not a legal name, how do we get a legal name?

Answer
The legal name of an entity is determined under state law. I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your matter is controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, I will direct you to the State of Pennsylvania page that has information about fictitious name registrations. http://goo.gl/sZrLqc

That page cites to 54 Pa.C.S. Section 301 and the following sections which are available at http://goo.gl/fOYhmF and, if you do not see any exemption from the registration requirement for churches, you may want to call the State Department of State to inquire whether they can give you any information about that issue of exemption.  However, it appears to me that the registration requirement would not apply to churches because registration is required only for "business" and the definition of "business" is given as "Any commercial or professional activity." http://goo.gl/ttR5Wn

If there is no registration requirement then you would simply choose your name and put that into your articles of association or bylaws, which your church will need in order to qualify as a 501(c)(3) organization with the IRS. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf  starting on the bottom of page 24 under the heading "Organizational test". You must have the required clauses in the organizational document. Samples start on page 71.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic