Nonprofit Law/Concession stand workers

Question
Mr Mechanic, we are a 501c3 baseball organization. Some questions have come up as side bars on how we run the business end.  We are a volunteer run organization.
1) parents volunteer to work shifts in the concession stand, when they can't perform their shift we pay some one to fill in. The concession manager assigns who works these shifts and most are assigned to herself and a select group of individuals, however, some individuals are excluded from getting paid shifts for personal dislike by the concession manager. Can this cause a problem for us? We do not send out 1099's and the penalty for not working your assigned shift of $30 is simply passed thru our funds, we collect the $30 from the parent and we pay out the $30 in cash from our concession funds to the worker, is this a problem?
2) we have a mom that volunteers to order the uniforms for 500-600 kids ranging in age from 4-15. She coordinates with the individual manager on what team name he wants and how he wants the uniform to look and then with the individual team mom's to get them handed out to the kids. She also has a service where she can put names and numbers on the jerseys. She ask each team manager if he wants her to do this or take the uniforms somewhere else to have this work performed. Each team raises money to pay for this and pay her directly.  No funds run thru our account, is this a problem?

Answer
1. First I suggest that you do not use the word "volunteer" in discussions of such issues as it tends to confuse things. A person who is required to work and, if that person does not work is required to pay $30 is an employee or independent contractor.  In your situation, it appears those workers are not independent contractors because the concession stand is run by a boss, the concession manager, who wants things to operate and proceed in a certain way. The IRS explains at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p5137.pdf on page 87. "A volunteer is an employee under common law if an entity has the right to direct and control the volunteer's performance,
not only as to the results to be accomplished, but also as to the methods by which the results are accomplished."

It is not clear from what you wrote whether the concession business is part of your 501(c)(3) organization.  If it is, then the workers have employment income that is treated like normal employment income by both the employer and the employee.

2.  Your board of directors should decide by resolution if they want to allow the uniform manager to operate in part for her own benefit.  If they do have such a resolution, then there is no problem as long as each team manager is notified in advance of the order that her side business is her own business, not part of the 501(c)(3) organization.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic