Nonprofit Law/dissolution of a 501 (c) 3 charity

Question
What happens to the assets(property,cash etc.) when a 501 (c) 3 corporation is dissolved?  Thanks

Answer
In order to have obtained IRS exemption determination, a 501(c)(3)
organization would have had to have the IRS required clauses in its
Articles of Incorporation as discussed starting on page 26 at
"Organizational test" at:
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf

Some variation is allowed by the sample dissolution clause is on
page 77
---Start of Excerpt--
Sixth: Upon the dissolution of the corpora-
tion, assets shall be distributed for one or more
exempt purposes within the meaning of section
501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or the
corresponding section of any future federal tax
code, or shall be distributed to the federal gov-
ernment, or to a state or local government, for a
public purpose. Any such assets not so dis-
posed of shall be disposed of by a Court of
Competent Jurisdiction of the county in which
the principal office of the corporation is then
located, exclusively for such purposes or to such
organization or organizations, as said Court
shall determine, which are organized and oper-
ated exclusively for such purposes.
---End of Excerpt--

You should look at your Articles of Incorporation which might have
some variation.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic