Nonprofit Law/are donations tax deductible for educational project?

Question
I am to begin a research project in January.  The nonprofit educational center where I will be staying provides housing but I am expected to raise funds to help complete the project which will include:
research, recording, publishing and travel.  Are donations earmarked for this project, made out to the center, tax deductible?  Can any part of them be tax deductible if a certain percentage goes to the center for general use?  Thanks

Answer
As to charitable deductions, see IRS Publication 526 "Charitable Donations"  which is available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf on page 6 where the IRS lists as not deductible "Contributions to
individuals who are needy or worthy. This includes contributions to a qualified organization if you indicate that your contribution is for a specific person."

However, even though it appears that you are the only worker on the project, as long as the funds would be donated to the 501(c)(3) educational organization and earmarked for the project, the organization may pay for certain expenses of the project, but not give any of the funds to you.  Then donations given to the center that are earmarked for that project would be deductible by the donors.

I am assuming that you personally would not be getting any benefits from the project, and that the 501(c)(3) organization would hold the copyrights for the published work.  Benefits to you would include, for example, if the completion of such a project was one of the requirements for a Ph.D.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic