Nonprofit Law/Funding spin offs and subsidiaries

Question
Mr. Mechanic,
We are a 501(c)(3) public charity and through a very involved re-organization have created both a non-profit entity (CE application pending) which we will serve as sole corporate member and for-profit entity which we will serve as controlling shareholder. Both were established to allow the development of resources and relationships to achieve our charitable purpose.  The question is how much funding (as a percentage or threshold amount of our typical yearly expenditures)can we provide to these entities so that they can begin operating? Would any funding to the for-profit have to be a FMV loan?    

Thank you for your assistance. If more details are needed, do you provide limited consulting for a fee?

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations and not about their for-profit businesses.  However, I will inform you that a public charity may be funded up to any level, so I don't believe you are asking specifically about the funding to that 501(c)(3) organization for its own charitable, educational or religious activities but asking about funding to the for-profit entity. The IRS does not have any regulation as to how much funding may be provided for the for-profit entity to begin operating, nor does the IRS require some of the funding to be a FMV loan.

If you want to hire me to help you with other issues as to the relationship between the public charity and the for-profit entity send me an email directly to my email address below and I will quote you my fees.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@homail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a Mechanic general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic