Nonprofit Law/Gift Cards

Question
QUESTION: After I resigned as a pastor, the church gave to me $1,000 in Amazon gifts cards as a going away present, and one individual gave to me $300.  Is this taxable income?

ANSWER: The Internal Revenue Code at section 102(a) provides that gifts are
not income.  "Gross income does not include the value of property
acquired by gift..."
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/26/A/1/B/III/102

However, section 102(c) of the Code has "Subsection (a) shall not
exclude from gross income any amount transferred by or for an
employer to, or for the benefit of, an employee...."

It appears you were an employee of the church so the gifts card value from the church is taxable income to you.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.    

QUESTION: Thank you for your prompt response.  Three follow-up questions: first, since I had resigned and was no longer an employee, would section 102(c) even apply?; second, if this gift was from the people as individuals and not the church as employer, would it be taxable income?; and third, because IRS Rev. Rul. 55-422, 1955-1 C.B. 14 called gifts to a minister after retirement non-taxable income because the minister was "adequately compensated for his past services" and "did not undertake to perform any further services for the congregation and was not expected to do so," wouldn't the same reasoning apply to freewill post-resignation gifts to a former pastor?

Answer
It depends if the church decided before or after your retirement whether they would be giving you the $1000 in gift cards.  If not, then you are correct -- that would not be income to you as the facts of your situation are similar to those in the Revenue Ruling you cited to:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
In the cited cases the payments were not made in accordance with any
enforceable agreement, established plan, or past practice; the recipient
did not undertake to perform any further services for the congregation and
was not expected to do so; there was a far closer personal relationship
between the recipient and the congregation than is found in lay employment
relationships; and the available evidence indicated that the amount paid
was determined in the light of the financial position of the congregation
and  the needs of the recipient, who had been adequately compensated for
his past services.
--- End of Excerpt ---
http://www.charitableplanning.com/document/670756

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. Ths response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as
legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic