Nonprofit Law/Non Profit Foundation/Charity

Question
There is only me.  I have no board members, what type of non profit foundation/charity can I have with only me.  

My goal is to raise funds to lease a tv station.  Then I can raise funds for my cause from tv shows and from companies that I will raise money from.

Answer
To be qualified as a 501(c)(3) organization your activities would need to be primarily charitable, educational or religious or a combination of those. See, generally, IRS Publication 557 "Tax Exempt Status for Your Organization" which is available at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf

I highly recommend that you have three directors who are unrelated
by blood, marriage, residential address, or for-profit business
relationships.

The IRS wants at least 3 unrelated directors for public charities
and, in any case, the board should not be controlled by related
persons.
See:
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-wd/1002041.pdf
which is denial of exemption based, in large part, upon the fact
that there was only one effective leader of the organization. At
the bottom of pdf page 4, the IRS indicates what I have found in
the past, i.e. that, when a organization files for public charity
status has only one director, the IRS sends out a notice
recommending that, to increase the possibility to gain exemption
determination, the organization add at least 2 other, unrelated
directors. That 2009 denial on the bottom of pdf page 5 cites to
Revenue Ruling 55-656, 1955-1 C.B. 262,"the control of one
person or a small, related group suggests that an organization
operates primarily for non-exempt private purposes, rather than
exclusively for public purposes."  The organization would then
have a burden to show that it is not operating for the benefit of
the sole director.

"Although control by ... a small group may not necessarily
disqualify [an organization] for exemption, it provides an
obvious opportunity for abuse of the claimed tax-exempt status."
Church of Ethereal Joy, 83 T.C. 20 at 23 (1984). That case is
cited in the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals case
St. David's Health Care System v. U.S., 349 F.3d 232 (2003)
http://pages.citebite.com/o1n5g1q6c0htj

You would not need more than one director for a private foundation.  A quick summary of the differences between public charities and private foundations can be found at:
www.guidestar.org/news/features/foundations.jsp

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic