Nonprofit Law/Question about a 501 C non profit

Question
We have a 501 c non profit organization which represents our baseball and softball program. The softball coach wants to get his own 501c and stated his own organization. The board will not let him branch off and start his own 501c. The board decide to let him establish a board and test the waters to see if the program would be ok to run on there own. The softball board has started there own checking account and the baseball board is the 501c holder. The baseball treasure has a checking and saving.  

1. Who is help liable for the money with in a 501c non profit?
2. Can a organization get a 501c with out the approval from the board.

Answer
1.  The 501(c)(3) organization is responsible to the IRS to make sure all funds (baseball and softball) are used for charitable, educational or religious activities.  Any deviations could result in loss of exemption by the IRS.

2. Without the approval of the Board a division of a 501(c)(3) organization is not authorized to set up its own bank account, using the EIN (Employer Identification Number - or Taxpayer Id number) of the 501(c)(3) organization.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@otmail.com

P>S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic