Nonprofit Law/Transfer of money

Question
Mr. Mechanic,

I am the founder of a 501c3 focused on improving children's health through education. We have raised funds to send money to India for a project there; however, we have not obtained Foreign Contributions Regulation Act (FCRA) status at this point, an Indian government regulatory status allowing non-profits to receive foreign donations. I have three questions around the legality of money transfer into India for charitable purposes:

1) The FCRA states that a non profit cannot receive foreign donations without FCRA status. However, it doesn't detail if a foreign organization can open a bank account in India without this status. Do you know if that is the case?

2) Can Indian citizens transfer money on behalf of the organization while FCRA status is pending?

3) What due diligence, if any, is needed from the organization end when sending money for charitable purposes out of the US (for tax purposes or otherwise)?

Thank you in advance for your help and your overall willingness to help, it is much appreciated.

Best regards,
Priyank

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. I will not, therefore, be commenting about Indian laws.  However, see the IRS publication at
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-wd/0504031.pdf for details about international grants to and international activities of U.S. exempt organizations, and, especially page 3-4 about grants to foreign organizations starting on page 3 at "Deductibility - Control Rules".

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic