Nonprofit Law/Getting a travel baseball team 501c3 status

Question
I have just recently helped set up a nonprofit travel baseball team in PA. We are about to file the IRS forms to apply for 501c3 status and are having a hard time trying to distinguish whether our team would fall under the charitable, educational, or qualified amateur athletic organization heading. The organization consists of two travel baseball teams that hold regular practices. The kids get specific training for hitting, pitching, etc. and also general conditioning. They will also be involved in tournaments throughout the year, requiring travel to several different states. Are these activities sufficient to gain the 501c3 exempt status? Thanks for your time and I appreciate any answer you can give.

Answer
The IRS has taken a position that "[a]n organization may
be educational within the meaning of IRC 501(c)(3) if it teaches
sports to youth or by being affiliated with an exempt educational
organization. Such educational organizations may also provide
facilities and equipment."
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopice87.pdf

That IRS internal memorandum refers to Rev. Rul. 80-215 which is
at:
http://is.gd/cm1cF

In that Revenue Ruling's "Law and Analysis" area we see the
description of the general law
---Start of Excerpt--
Section 501 (c) (3) of the Code provides for the exemption from
federal income tax of organizations organized and operated
exclusively for charitable purposes.

Section 1.501 (c) (3)-1(d) (2) of the Income Tax Regulations
provides that the term "charitable" is used in section 501(c) (3)
of the Code in its generally accepted legal sense and includes the
advancement of education and the promotion of social welfare by
organizations designed to combat juvenile delinquency.

Trusts created for the purpose of promoting sports for children
have been upheld as charitable on the basis of either combatting
juvenile delinquency or advancing education. Restatement (Second)
Trusts (1959), section 374(n); IV Scott on Trusts (3d ed. 1967),
section 374-6A; Bogert, Trusts and Trustees (2d ed. 1964), section
--- End of Excerpt ---
Therefore, your organization could be a mixture of educational and charitable purposes and the activities you mentioned are sufficient to obtain from the IRS 501(c)(3) organization status.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended o be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic