Nonprofit Law/Fundraising

Question
Sir, I will be brief and hope for some advice from you.
>
> I have been made aware of a family in need due to medical expenses incurred by a sick family member, a child.
>
> Friends and neighbors have organized a fundraising dinner for this family, as well as soliciting donations on Facebook. Donor checks are made out to the sick child. The parents have opened a bank account in the child's name.
>
> I am 100% sure that this is not a scam; the situation is real. There is no establishment of a 501c3 and the donations are not being funneled through an established charity. Since there is no governance over how the donations are being used, I am concerned that the family may be liable to someone, somehow, for something and they have no protection.
>
> Am I being overly concerned?
>
> Thank you in advance if you can enlighten me on this issue.

Answer
The Internal Revenue Code at section 102(a) provides that gifts are
not income.  "Gross income does not include the value of property
acquired by gift..."
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/26/A/1/B/III/102

Therefore, the parents have no tax liability on the gifts.  Note, however, that the donors do not receive the ability to deduct their donations as charitable contributions as the money does not go to or for a 501(c)(3) organization.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic