Nonprofit Law/Mandatory Fundraising

Question
We play youth little league. Registration fees are $90 and we are required to provide uniforms and equipment ourselves.

This year the league is requiring each player to sell discount cards or pay $75 to the league if we don't sell the cards. Is this legal?  Can the league prevent our child from playing if we don't sell the cards?

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Therefore, I am assuming you are referring to a 501(c)(3) organization.

In August, 2013 the U.S. Tax Court supported the revocation of 501(c)(3) organization status of a formerly exempt organization and noted that a parent's fundraising was earmarked to reduce what
otherwise could be a $1,400 payment the parent would have to pay out of his/her pocket. The direct linkage of a parent's fundraising resulted with paying expenses for that parent's child and was a very specific benefit obtained by the insider.  While the parent may not have been paid cash, the parent nevertheless ended up escaping having to write a check for the amount of the benefit. Families who did not fundraise did not receive any benefits from the purported a 501(c)(3) organization.  http://goo.gl/F2dZws

Even though the figure for you is $75 instead of $1400, the principal remains.  The youth league is jeopardizing its 501(c)(3) exemption status with the IRS.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic