Nonprofit Law/pastor pay

Question
My husband was hired as a pastor in Nov.2010.In May 2011, the church started not paying him, but once a month. Then by April 2012,they stopped paying him at all. During this time there was no taxes taken out and reported to IRS. And at no time did he receive insurance, retirement, etc. After saying all of that,my question is this, What does the law say about churches and paying their full time employee?(Texas) Their by-laws state that the section is responsible for pay the churches financial responsibility, if the church can not. But the section and district, say that "the pastor's pay is faith based, and not guaranteed." The organization is now refusing to pay him his back pay.

Answer
My profile explains that this free forum is only for questions directly relating to the federal tax exemption matters of 501(c)(3) organizations.  You matter is actually an employment law matter but I may be able to direct you. The IRS has published, "A licensed, commissioned, or ordained minister is generally the common law employee of the church, denomination, sect, or organization that employs him or her to provide ministerial services." http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc417.html

I am assuming that your husband had no written employment contract and, therefore, I would need to know of any oral contact terms made.  But, in any case, we can look to the church' pattern of treatment at least as to the payments made to him during the first few months of his employment.

Unless one of the listed exceptions on that IRS web page applies, your husband is an employee and not an independent contractor of the church.  Therefore, the church is liable for regular employment tax liabilities.  Treatment of Social Security is discussed in IRS Publication 517 "Social Security and Other Information for the Members of the Clergy and Other Religious Workers" at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p517.pdf

Your husband can not rely upon the bylaws of the church unless they were referred to in his employment contract with the church and, therefore, the section and district would not have any liability to pa him unless they specifically guaranteed the church's payments to your husband.

Your husband can seek relief from the State of Texas Labor Department by filing a wage claim at
http://www.twc.state.tx.us/customers/jsemp/employee-rights-laws.html
and/or he can sue the church in a court for his back pay.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic