Nonprofit Law/pending 501(c)3 status

Question
Can a non-profit charter school still hold fundraising events (provided they inform their donors their 501(c)3 is pending) while waiting on the 501(c)3 to be issued?

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. The IRS allows 501(c)(3) organizations to hold fundraising events after they have been established on the state level (usually by incorporating as a nonprofit corporation) as long as they are organized and operating properly.  

The IRS may take months to issue the exemption determination
letter, but as long as you file your exemption application within
27 months and are approved for exemption status by the IRS you may
begin full operations upon state incorporation.
See IRS Publication 557 "Tax Exempt Status for Your Organization"
http:// www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf
which has on page 23, middle column, under the heading "Effective
date of exemption" that the exemption determination is granted
retroactively to the date of formation which is normal for
501(c)(3) organizations that apply for exemption within the first
27 months of their formation. "If the organization files the
application within this 27 -month period, the organization's
exemption will be recognized retroactively to the date it was
organized."

You should also look into Ohio state law. http://goo.gl/RtmhDK as the Attorney General of the State regulates charitable organizations and charitable solicitations.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic