Nonprofit Law/Percetage of donations.

Question
When running a non profit corp. of what percentage of your proceeds must actually be donated?

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations that are not private foundations. Therefore, I am assuming you are referring to such a 501(c)(3) organization.

The word "proceeds" is vague as it may mean either gross receipts or surpluses.  It is defined as "the profits or returns from a sale, investment, etc." http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/proceeds+?s=t

In any case, many 501(c)(3) organization do not donate any funds to other entities or individuals, but use all of the funds for their own charitable, educational or religious activities.  There is no "donation" requirement for public charities.

The IRS does not have any specific percentage that can be used for expenses. However, the IRS wants to see that the organization does charitable work "commensurate" with its size and income. An article posted on the site of The Chronicle of Philanthropy on May 13, 2008
discusses briefly the "commensurate test" at:
http://bit.ly/1FUn6J

If you are referring to a private foundation, it must donate (distribute) 5% of its corpus annually for approved purposes. http://goo.gl/pxsLh8

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic