Nonprofit Law/Salary and benefits (501 c3)

Question
Hello,

I would like to please know if a staff member of a 501 c3 foundation, who operates abroad, can be given US health insurance and airfare (to come back to the US once a year, and to be covered if needed during this trip home) on top of/apart from her salary?
Also, are these benefits tax deductible for the employee and employer?
Finally, can the employee be given benefits (health insurance, airfare, etc) for a family member or dependent child?

Thank you very much!

Best wishes,

J.

Answer
A 501(c)(3) organization may provide to employees fringe benefits such as US health insurance and airfare (to come back to the US once a year, and to be covered if needed during this trip home)as long as the value of those fringe benefits added to the salary is not more than what is reasonable.  Starting on pdf page 10 of www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopici93.pdf the IRS discusses many of the factors it would look at to decide whether a salary is reasonable.

Those expenses are deductible by the employer as compensation expenses. I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations and the part of your question about whether the benefits are taxable to the employee is about individual employee tax liability and does not effect the organization's exemption. But I will direct you to the IRS Publication 15-B which discusses fringe benefits and is available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15b.pdf and note from page 3, column one, "Any fringe benefit you [employers] provide is taxable and must be included in the recipient's pay unless the law specifically excludes it."  You can look down that publication to see if the particular fringe benefits you refer to are excluded from income of the employee.  

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic