Nonprofit Law/501c form 1023 necessity

Question
I am really confused about the 1023 and if it is necessary for us to file one.  We are a bowling tournament whose entry fees exceed $5000 annually.  Entry fees are returned to the bowlers as prize monies with the exception of the fees paid for lineage to the participating bowling center and expenses which include mailings, printing, paper, etc.  My questions is are all entry fees considered receipts which would require us to spend the $400 and file the 1023?

Answer
If you want to claim the benefits of 501(c)(3) organization status you would need to file Form 1023 application for exemption and be approved.  Referred to in regulations as to which exempt organizations are required to file certain form 990s, citing to Treas. Reg. 1.6033-
2(g)(4)), the IRS defines the term "gross receipts" for exempt organizations at
http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Gross-Receipts-Defined as, "the total amounts the organization received from all sources during its annual accounting period, without subtracting any costs or expenses." Entry fees, therefore, would be included in gross receipts.

If you don't want to file form 1023 and pay the filing fees, why don't you spin off that tournament into a nonexempt entity?  It does not appear to me, from the facts that you sent to me that the organization would qualify anyway as a 501(c)(3) organization (unless the activities are for youth, handicapped persons or seniors). Even if for one of those groups, what would be the benefit of having 501(c)(3) organization status for your operation?

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic