Nonprofit Law/Cash Awards

Question
We are an 501c3 Art Group. We bring in teachers for classes and do several exhibits per year that are only open to our members.  We hire a professional judge to award ribbons. Are we allowed to award cash prizes? For example, $100 for 1st place, $75 for 2nd place and $50 for 3rd place.

Thank you so much for doing this - it is very hard to get (or maybe understand) information on a 501c3!

Answer
A 501(c)(3) organization is not supposed to use its funds other than for charitable, educational or religious activities and grants to members is not allowed when the public is excluded from consideration of the awards or grants.

Sorry for the delay in the answer to your question. Allexperts.com has, for the last 10 days not been sending me the questions to answer.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic