Nonprofit Law/dba apply


There is one our purpose of our religion non-profit organization named "ChurchName" (example) is charity.  In order to extend this purpose not depends on religion, we want to add its DBA with the "CharityName" (example), so we can create the separated bank acct, etc, for this charity purpose.  Is it possible?  Where can I file it?
Thanks for your reply & you help.
You can email me as I provided.
Thanks again.

Yes. For California are the sections of the California law relating to the fictitious names.
Down at section 17911 we see "This chapter does not apply to a nonprofit corporation or association, including, but not limited to, organizations such as churches, labor unions, fraternal and charitable organizations, foundations, and similar organizations."

But most banks have a policy that they will not allow the deposit of a check unless that check is made out to the account holder or a registered fictitious name of the account holder.

So even though the State may exempt churches from the penalties mentioned in that Chapter when they don't comply with registration, you would want to register it for the bank. You would register the fictitious name in the county where the
organization's principal office is located.  So, you would go to the site of the applicable county for registration information. For example, for Orange County go to

Instructions for Los Angeles County are available at

Sorry for the delay in the answer to your question. has, for the last 10 days not been sending me the questions to answer.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.