Nonprofit Law/Gymnastics booster club and equipment purchases

Question
Thank you so much for volunteering your time for this.  It is valuable and important information our non-profit needs but cant afford, so thank you.
I am in charge of a parent non-profit group that supports a girls competitive gymnastics team. I just read a summary on the 501(c)3 and have a couple of questions regarding "private benefit".  
1.  An agreement we made with the gym owners was to donate items to the gym with a small portion (maybe 20%)of our funds raised through our fundraising events.  It was an option we chose as opposed to paying the gym a "rental fee" for use of the facility for our main fundraiser, a meet.  The gym owners do not sit on the board and it was proposed to the gym not by the gym because we feel it supports our program.  It also benefits the gym because this equipment is also used by recreation programs.  This is where I question if we are in violation.???
2.  I read the advertisements we sell for our meet program is unrelated to the organizations exempt purposes and therefore generates taxable income. Are we in violation here as well?
Thank you

Answer
It appears that the for-profit gym owner may be trying to evade some federal income taxes by, instead of receiving funds from your organization for services, which would be taxable as normal income, wants to accept equipment, which, although also taxable as income (barter income) may be less easy for the IRS to trace.

Anyway, as to your specific question 1, a 501(c)(3) organization may, in lieu of a rental fee, pay a for-profit gym with equipment.  You used the word "donate" but that is not a donation, as it is in exchange for use of space. Your organization, as any other 501(c)(3) organization is required to maintain financial records of such transactions, and that should be in the form or a rental agreement, signed by the for-profit gym.

2. Advertising revenue to 501(c)(3) organizations is generally taxable as unrelated business activities and reported on form 990-T which is available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f990t.pdf

However, note on page 5 of the 1994 IRS internal memorandum. "The Announcement further stated that the Service would not apply the guidelines to organizations that are of a purely local nature and that receive relatively insignificant gross revenue from corporate sponsors and that generally operate with significant amounts of volunteer labor."
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopico94.pdf

Therefore, it is possible that such advertising income would not be taxable as unrelated business.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic