Nonprofit Law/legal expenses for 501C3

Question
what types of expenses can be paid under a 501 C3?  snowmobile club raises funds for grooming trails, etc.   can we legally purchase equipment for the work that needs to be done on trails?

can we pay to send flowers for funeral to one of the members or members family.

I assume all expenses that relate to the work done on trails can legally be done but not expense such as flowers or paying for hotel rooms for members on club trip for enjoyment no education expenses would be involved.

Answer
A 501(c)(3) organization may only spend its funds for charitable, educational or religious activities.  You may legally purchase equipment for the work that needs to be done on the trail, but a 501(c)(3) organization or a government entity must maintain ownership.

Flowers for a funeral is a minor violation, but it would be better to have some of the members collect funds outside of the 501(c)(3) organization and use that for the benefit of member's families.  Your assumptions are correct.

Sorry for the delay in the answer to your question.  Allexperts.com has, for the last 10 days not been sending me the questions to answer.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic