You are here:

Nonprofit Law/Non profit directors


Is it possible for foreign nationals to be directors of and control the board of a non-profit (church) in the state of Florida? Further is the any requirement to have at least one US citizen on the board?

States allow Directors who are foreign nationals to control the board of not-for-profit churches.  Specifically, for Florida their nonprofit corporation law is available at and down on that page we find:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
617.0802 Qualifications of directors.
(1) Directors must be natural persons who are 18 years of age or older but need not be residents of this state or members of the corporation unless the articles of incorporation or bylaws so require. For a corporation organized according to the provisions of s. 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, but not for a corporation regulated by chapter 718, chapter 719, chapter 720, chapter 721, or chapter 723 or a corporation for which membership in such corporation is required pursuant to a document recorded in the county property records, one director may be 15 years of age or older if so permitted in the articles of incorporation or bylaws or by resolution of the board of directors. The articles of incorporation or the bylaws may prescribe additional qualifications for directors.
--- End of Excerpt ---

If foreign nationals are receiving compensation for their services, they would first need USCIS employment authorization.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.