Nonprofit Law/non-profit fundraising for a Gymnastics Booster Club

Question
QUESTION: We are a 501c3 Minnesota Gymnastics club with a competitive team booster club.  A group of athletes and coaches (20 out of 100) want to attend a camp in Tennessee and want to raise funds to help pay for the cost of the transportation (renting a bus-to transport the group).  

How can the company do this without jeopardizing our 501c3 status.

ANSWER: It will not be a problem if the Board of Directors authorizes a fundraising effort for the group.  But, not that the 501(c)(3) organization may not require anyone to raise any funds. My summary of IRS regulations relating to 501c3 booster organizations is at:
http://goo.gl/ULw6f6
and you may be interested to read that.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.    

QUESTION: Currently our booster clubs has Member dues paid at the beginning of the year as well as work hour expectations.  it is always difficult to get the members to actually do the fundraising work.  We are contemplating requiring a certain numbers of mandatory volunteer hours and charging those a fee for the hours that are not worked at the end of the year.  Is there any rules against that.  Any resources you have in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Such an operation would be what the IRS calls a cooperative.  A
cooperative is not qualified as a 501(c)(3) organization.  A
501(c)(3) booster organization is to be a charitable, not a
cooperative, organization. A charitable organization, like the Red
Cross, does not require beneficiaries to work for the Red Cross in
order to receive benefits.

In August, 2013 the U.S. Tax Court supported the revocation of
501(c)(3) organization status of a formerly exempt organization and
noted that a parent's fundraising was earmarked to reduce what
otherwise could be a $1,400 payment the parent would have to pay
out of his/her pocket. The direct linkage of a parent's fundraising
resulted with paying expenses for that parent's child and was a
very specific benefit obtained by the insider.  While the parent
may not have been paid cash, the parent nevertheless ended up
escaping having to write a check for the amount of the benefit.
Families who did not fundraise did not receive any benefits from
the purported a 501(c)(3) organization.  http://goo.gl/F2dZws

My summary of IRS regulations relating to 501c3 booster organizations is at:
http://goo.gl/ULw6f6
and you may be interested to read that.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic