Nonprofit Law/switching tax exempt groups

Question
I am a board member of the Upper Peninsula Rodeo in Iron River ,MI. We have been in existence for 48 years. After reviewing our tax exempt status I realized that we have been listed as a 501c4 which we should be a 501c3. What do we have to do to change this so that we can get tax exempt donations from businesses etc. I am overwhelmed at the paperwork involved and it may not be as bad as I think. Do we have to pay anything or just supply the correct paperwork and forms? Please help!
Thank You in advance. Karen Marheine U.P. Championship Rodeo board member.

Answer
You would first probably need to amend your articles of incorporation and bylaws and then you would file Form 1023 application for exemption with the IRS for the 501(c)(3) organization designation.  The state does not charge more than a $100 filing fee for amendments of the articles of incorporation (and you don't need to file the bylaws with the State). organization. The IRS minimum filing fee for a 501(c)(3) organization determination letter is $400 and goes up to $850. http://goo.gl/TXwq9

Sorry for the delay in the answer to your question. Allexperts.com has, for the last 10 days not been sending me the questions to answer.

Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law -
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic