Nonprofit Law/What am I allowed to view as a parent & not board member?

Question
QUESTION: Am I allowed to receive league rules, by laws, fundraising financial info, and board minutes, & be allowed to attend board meetings without being a member? I am a parent if 2 children that play for a nonprofit baseball/softball league.

ANSWER: If a nonprofit has received IRS exemption determination and files annual returns (Form 990) with the IRS it has an obligation to provide anyone with certain copies (like exemption application, which includes bylaws at that time and the annual Form 990 series filed). See FAQs About the Exempt Organization Public Disclosure Requirements
http://goo.gl/CjGc3

Indiana state law on Open Records and Open Meetings is available from the Reporter's Committee for Freedom of the Press at
http://www.rcfp.org/indiana-open-government-guide

specifically read at 1.B.4.a Open Records for "Nongovernmental bodies receiving public funds or benefits" and the sections B5-B7 nearby have the applicable discussion. If none of those apply to
the organization , then the state open records law does not apply to the organization and you would not have any legal right to obtain the documents you requested unless you are involved in a court action with the league (and you could then subpoena those).

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

QUESTION: They are listed as a 501 (3)(c) non profit

Answer
I believe you are referring to a 501(c)(3) organization (not a "501(3)(c)).  So, if the organization has received a determination letter from the IRS that it is exempt from federal income taxes, my original answer applies.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic