Nonprofit Law/Project-based fundraising

Question
Thank you for taking the time to read my question.  

I am on the board of a 501(c)(3).  We fundraise to provide support to foreign charities that do social work for orphaned children in developing countries (direct practice and policy advocacy).  As I understand it, the IRS does not normally allow us to accept money and earmark it for an organization we work with; this leads to my question.

An organization we work with is looking to launch a major project, and we would like to solicit donations by asking people to donate in support of this foreign organization's project.  We would have the other organization submit a project proposal with a funding request (or even a formal grant proposal) and we would contract with them to ensure they are accountable for their use of the money with disbursements tied to milestones.  Does the IRS allow non-profits to solicit donations supporting specific projects like this without running afoul of anti-earmarking regulations or can we only ask for donations to support "projects like..."?

Thank you.

Answer
See the IRS publication at
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-wd/0504031.pdf for details about
international grants to and international activities of U.S. exempt
organizations, and, especially page 3-4 about grants to foreign
organizations starting on page 3 at "Deductibility - Control
Rules".

You could not name the foreign organization in your solicitations, but you could name the country and the type of project.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic