Nonprofit Law/501c3 Booster Club and equal disbursement

Question
If a private 501c3 booster club decides to support only the mandatory competitions for a dance team at a private dance studio, and each level of the dance team has an unequal number of mandatory dance competitions to attend (which is out of the control of the 501c3), is the booster club required to support each dance team member equally by the number of mandatory competitions only, or are you limited to supporting only the level with the fewest competitons to keep from supporting the other teams more with more competitons? Example:
If #1 team has only two competitions, and the #2 team has four competitions, do you support each dancer on the #1 team equally for two competitons and each dancer on the #2 team equally for their four competitons? Or are you limited to equally supporting the #1 and #2 teams equally, meaning the #2 team cannot benefit more than the #1 team overall just because #2 has more competitons to attend?  Essentially, if the $$ benefit need to be the same for each member of the #1 and #2 teams, then the #2 team is always at a disadvantage because they can't benefit more than #1 even though #2 is required to attend more competitions.  Also, #2's competition fees may be more than #1 because of their age level, experience level, etc. Does that mean the 501c3 can't fully pay the fees for #2 because they are by definition more than #1, even though the 501c3 can afford to fully pay the fees for both #1 and #2? It seems to me you can't penalize supporting the #2 team just because it'is competition fees are more expensive.  Please help! Thanks in advance and I appreciate everything you're doing educating the public about 501c3's.  Thanks again!

Answer
A 501(c)(3) booster organization is not required to support each dancer equally.  The 501(c)(3) organization may use different criteria, such as financial need, number of competitions, level of competitor, but may not use certain criteria such as race, religion or the amount of money that the family fundraises for the 501(c)(3) organization.

My summary of IRS regulations relating to 501c3 booster organizations is at:http://goo.gl/ULw6f6and you may be interested to read that.

You are welcome.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic