Nonprofit Law/Exemptions and group returns for 501(c)3s

Question
Hi, Mr. Mechanic. I'm trying to figure out the reporting requirements for 501(c)3s. From what I've learned, those with under $50K can file an  e-Postcard; those over have to file a 990 or 990-EZ. Does a 501(c)3 with an NTEE designation of Q33 (International Relief) qualify for any exemptions? Can a 501(c)3 file under a "group return" with a non-profit parent?

I appreciate your help and that you volunteer as an expert. I wish I had some expertise to share like you do.

Thanks,
Karen

Answer
http://goo.gl/CTkSR explains which 990 series return to file and there is no exemption for an organization other than a church or certain entities related to churches, so international relief will not get you any exemption.

What you are referring to by "group return" is what the IRS calls "group exemption".
Group Exemption is discussed starting on the bottom of the middle column of page 8  of IRS Publication 557 at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf

The IRS exemption organization fee page has, for the 4th item, that the fee is $3000 for an organization to apply for the group exemption determination so that they could then have subordinate organizations as exempt without the subordinates filing with the IRS.
http://goo.gl/TXwq9

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic