Nonprofit Law/New Non-profit Shooting Range

Question
I am looking to start a new shooting range that will offer archery, trap and skeet shooting. The primary intent of this range is to provide a home for the local high school trapshooting team as well as providing firearms safety training for local youths.
Based on your previous experiences, does a 501c3 or 501c7 offer the most benefits and why??

Answer
The 501(c)(3) organization is always preferred because donations to such an organization are deductible by the donors. See IRS Publication 557 "Tax Exempt Status for Your Organization"
which is available at http://goo.gl/5iylHy on the right under
"Publications" as "Publication 557 (Rev. October 2013)"

Note, starting on page 68 the last column which refers to deductibility for the different types of organizations.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic