Nonprofit Law/non profit or foundation

we started a non profit 501 c3 after our sons death to help support families going though what we did. The State of Texas is where we filed and the Company name is Linked With Liam, Inc.
Someone asked if we were a foundation and I didn't know the answer. We get our funding from corporation donations and events we hold to promote and fund our programs. I was under the impression we are a non profit company and not a foundation. how do I know ??

One site shows:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
is a Texas Corporation filed on February 14, 2014. The company's filing status is listed as Active and its File Number is 0801936981.
--- End of Excerpt ---

From that I can not see whether it was incorporated under the Texas procedures for nonprofit corporations. You could send me your articles of incorporation and then I will inform you, but, if you know that it is a nonprofit corporation that would be your answer to the question whether the organization is a Foundation.  If the person still inquires whether the corporation is a foundation you can inform them that I wrote you that the word "Foundation" is vague and, in itself, is not used in the are of the law of nonprofit entities. The Council of Foundations, which claims, on the bottom of their home page to have approximately 1600 entities as members, has on their FAQ, "In the nonprofit sector, the term foundation has no precise

Most states allow the public to see the records of their Corporation Division, but Texas requires $1 for the search. so that is why I requested a copy of your articles of incorporation.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic

I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.

I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.

B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.