Nonprofit Law/non-profit tax law

Question
QUESTION: I am a board member for a non-profit museum which focuses on Naval Aviation.  I have been approached by a man who has written a book about Naval Aviation and specifically his father's achievements in that area.  He is looking to have the book published by the US Naval Institute (another 501(c)(3) organization).  They require that the author collect $10,000 in order to publish the book.  There is some sort of requirement that the money has to come from individuals, it cannot come from the author.  The author has asked us to enter into a Designated Fund Agreement which would allow us to collect funds which would in turn be submitted to US Naval Institute.  Would the contributions we collect be tax-deductible?

ANSWER: No.  Donations earmarked for individuals are  no deductible by consular.  As to charitable deductions, see IRS Publication 526 "Charitable Donations"  which is available at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf
on page 6 where the IRS lists as not deductible "Contributions to individuals who are needy or worthy. This includes contributions to a qualified organization if you indicate that your  contribution is for a specific person."

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

QUESTION: So the part which is unclear for me is whether the contribution is for the individual or for the US Naval Institute Press.  I'm trying to determine that by getting a copy of the agreement between the author and USNIP.  If the contribution is for USNIP, which is a 501(c)(3) organization, does that change the answer?  Sorry if I'm being obtuse.

Answer
No.  see http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopice96.pdf which is an IRS publication about prohibited conduit arrangements.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic