Nonprofit Law/Gymnastics Parent Association

Question
1-We are a non profit organization. We are hosting a fundraiser and plan on splitting the proceeds only with the members of the organization. We do not plan on giving any of the competitive gymnasts that are of apart of the organization a portion and none of the funds will go into the general fund. Basically we are just raising money and soliciting donations for our children. Can we do this and still be in compliance with the IRS regulations?

2-There are members that have left the organization and their funds were split amongst the active members. Is this legal? Should their funds have gone into the general fund?

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Therefore, I am assuming you are referring to such an organization.

My summary of IRS regulations relating to 501c3 booster organizations is at: http://goo.gl/IdQwML and you may be interested to read that.

Specifically, as to your question, a 501(c)(3) organization is not allowed to raise funds for its own members, excluding benefits to other similarly situated athletes who are not members of the booster organization.  Such an operation would be what the IRS calls a cooperative.  A
cooperative is not qualified as a 501(c)(3) organization.  A
501(c)(3) booster organization is to be a charitable, not a
cooperative, organization. A charitable organization, like the Red
Cross, does not require beneficiaries to work for the Red Cross in
order to receive benefits.

In August, 2013 the U.S. Tax Court supported the revocation of
501(c)(3) organization status of a formerly exempt organization and
noted that a parent's fundraising was earmarked to reduce what
otherwise could be a $1,400 payment the parent would have to pay
out of his/her pocket. The direct linkage of a parent's fundraising
resulted with paying expenses for that parent's child and was a
very specific benefit obtained by the insider.  While the parent
may not have been paid cash, the parent nevertheless ended up
escaping having to write a check for the amount of the benefit.
Families who did not fundraise did not receive any benefits from
the purported a 501(c)(3) organization.  http://goo.gl/F2dZws

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic