Nonprofit Law/Gymnastics Parent Associations

Question
My daughter just joined a new competitive gym. I just received the contract by the Parent Association that is supposed to be a Non Profit organization and was very surprised to see that:

1- Membership to the gym requires that you be a member of the Association
2-There are personal accounts for which funds are placed in when individual gymnast fundraise
3- Every member is required to work a certain amount of sessions for the home meets. A penalty of $100 per session not worked will be assessed to the Memberís account if the family does not contribute time per the meet coordinatorís expectations (I thought this was a volunteer organization, how can they punish a parent for not volunteering their time?)
4-Failure to attend all scheduled meetings (with the exception of one excused absence), will result in a penalty of $10 per missed meeting
5-All Members are required to participate in general fundraising events as approved by the Executive Board and discussed at the general membership meetings (see minutes of meetings for details).  Monetary donations, as approved by the Executive Board, will be allowed in lieu of participation on an individual basis.

I am wondering if this is even legal from the IRS standpoint. I am being asked to sign a contract agreeing to everything listed above. Is there any information that I can read that will direct me to IRS documentation that goes against this?

Answer
I am assuming that the Parents Association wants or claims 501(c)(3) organization status.  If so, what they are trying to require is in violation of 501(c)(3) organization regulations. My summary of IRS regulations relating to 501c3 booster organizations is at: http://goo.gl/IdQwML and you may be interested to read that and let me know if you have any follow-up after you read that.

Note, that #1 indicates that the for-profit (I am assuming it is for-profit) gym is conspiring with the 501(c)(3) organization to evade federal income taxes.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic