Nonprofit Law/Local chapter collecting dues for National

Question
Members of our local branch are required to be members of National.  We collect annual dues and then pass the National portion along to headquarters.  Both groups are 501(c)3.  Are the National dues contributions to us? When we look at our financial statements, the income seems artificially high compared to our program expenses for scholarships.  We don't want to jeopardize our status by doing the books wrong.

Answer
You wrote that you only pass a portion of the dues to another 501(c)(3) organization.  Therefore, the part that is passed to the national are considered dues in form 990 series, to be listed in the appropriate line.

Links to Latest Published  Form 990 Series Forms and- Instructions
(990/990-EZ/990-N) are available at http://goo.gl/GFVHE
and http://goo.gl/CTkSR explains which 990 series return to file.

For example, for the 990-EZ, Part 1, line 3 is for "Membership dues and assessments".
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f990ez.pdf

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic